Join the team at Tiller
Experienced Software Engineer – Backend
Tiller is seeking an experienced, team-oriented backend engineer with a passion for building robust, scalable software and systems for customer-focused financial products.
You may be a perfect candidate if you have excellent communication skills, appreciate simple solutions to complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Tiller’s mission, vision and values, please apply.
Our team is fully remote and based in the Pacific Time Zone (UTC–07:00).
What you will bring to Tiller
- Expertise with one or more pieces of our tech stack (TypeScript, node.js, MongoDB, Redis, Docker, Google Cloud Platform, Github Actions)
- Strong understanding of cloud platform services (compute, storage, networking, permissions)
- Knowledge and skills for effectively monitoring distributed applications.
- Experience with tools and techniques for maintaining and refactoring legacy code.
- Reliable workspace and internet connection, and ability to travel occasionally within the United States.
- A growth mindset and desire to continuously improve.
Within 2 weeks, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with each of our teams from engineering to customer success and more.
- Familiarize yourself with our product and core codebase.
- Learn about our roadmap and exciting opportunities ahead.
- Get your first project into production and learn about our development processes.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Improve the core codebase by developing a performant and maintainable backend feature.
- Lead and participate in blameless, empathetic code reviews.
- Gain a full overview of our service architecture and implement 3 metrics to increase visibility into the health and performance of our services.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Contribute to the engineering team’s culture of operational excellence by creating a proposal to improve a system or process.
- Take ownership of a new product initiative through the entire development lifecycle.
- Be a subject matter expert in one or more areas of Tiller’s service architecture.
What we offer
- Competitive salary + equity
- Medical benefits
- Fully remote position with flexible working hours
- Unlimited paid time off
- Annual company and team meetups
We are small and growing, so you will have tremendous agency and outsized impact on our developing culture, the Tiller service, and the success of our customers
- You will be surrounded by awesome, supportive colleagues who know how to have fun together
- We have been fully remote from day one; work from anywhere
- Our customers tend to stick around – we have one of the highest customer retention rates among consumer fintech services
- Unlimited self-managed paid time off
- Our team also sticks around, and we have uniquely high retention
- You will be eligible for stock options and equity ownership
- We provide health care coverage
We believe that money matters because life matters more. When we are in better control of our money we can align our money with our values, profoundly improving our lives and our community.
Our core values are our superpower, allowing us to achieve outsized success as a small team.
- We communicate directly and respectfully.
- We perform best when we have abundant, direct, and respectful communication.
- We speak up to seize opportunities and address challenges.
- We listen, stay curious, embrace humility, and work to be self-aware.
- When communication isn’t working, we talk more and type less.
- We earn and extend trust.
- We depend on trust rather than oversight as a team.
- We rely on each other to make decisions in the best interest of Tiller.
- We presume positive intent.
- We work to earn the trust our customers place in Tiller.
- We bias toward action.
- Small teams like ours accomplish the most when we embrace velocity.
- We take reasonably informed risks.
- We work to stay focused and aligned so we can move nimbly.
- We work to make a positive impact.
- Through small and big choices, we make our customer’s lives better and fulfill the hope they place in us when they come to Tiller.
- We improve the lives of our team when we empower each other to do our best work in a supportive and productive environment.
- We embrace a growth mindset.
- We choose to be rationally optimistic and to work hard, even when it is hard.
- We stay curious, ask questions, and seek help from others.
- Failure is an opportunity to learn.
- Getting closer to customers always helps us learn and grow.