Tiller is excited to announce our first-ever Microsoft Excel Builders Challenge. We begin accepting your amazing workflows, visualizations, templates, and helpers starting… right… now!
The Excel Builders Challenge aims to inspire the creation of new spreadsheet-based solutions that empower people with greater understanding, confidence, and control of their financial lives. The challenge also showcases the creativity and skills of Excel spreadsheet enthusiasts across the United States.
Prizes include merchandise and swag, annual Tiller subscriptions, gift cards, and money rewards.
About the Microsoft Excel Builders Challenge
If you remember Tiller’s previous Builders Challenges, this one is a bit different. Rather than accepting entries and reviewing them at the end of a submission period, we will now award prizes within 5 business days of builder submissions.
Prize level will be determined based on the quality, ambition, and value of your solution.
Simplified Schedule Kicks off Today
The Excel Builders Challenge kicks off today, and we are now accepting submissions. Submissions are open until June 6, 2022.
The sooner you share your Tiller-powered Excel creation, the sooner you can claim your prize. We can’t wait to see what you build! Prize levels, awarded at Tiller’s discretion, include:
- Tiller t-shirt
- $25 gift card
- 1-year Tiller subscription extension
- $100 gift card
- $500 prize
- $1,000 prize
Prizes will be awarded by Tiller’s judging panel based on:
- Value of concept to the personal-finance community
- Value & quality of Tiller integration
- Uniqueness of concept vision
- User experience & usability
Examples of Compelling Solutions
Solutions could include a new worksheet that can be inserted into the Tiller Foundation Template, a workflow that uses the Foundation Template to accomplish something valuable, or a stand-alone workbook that leverages our feeds. Solutions should:
- Empower people with greater understanding and control of their financial situation.
- Solve specific personal finance riddles
- Showcase what’s possible in a spreadsheet (specifically Excel for this challenge)
- Function reliably & performantly with clean design and formulas
- Include helpful documentation (video is a plus!)
Looking for inspiration? Check out what’s been built already with Tiller and Google Sheets. The Show and Tell here in the Community has workflows and solutions shared by novices and experts, and the Solutions Gallery here has best-in-class examples of highly polished Community Solutions.
Requirements for Prize Consideration
- Your solution must enhance the value Tiller’s transaction and/or balance data feeds
- Your solution must be built for Microsoft Excel
- Your solution must be fully compatible with Tiller’s worksheet & column conventions
- Solution must be posted as a new topic in the Tiller Community’s Excel / Show & Tell category with the tag “builder-challenge” between 4/25/22 and 6/6/22
- Your solution must identify and provide a workflow, solution or visualization to a common personal finance challenge. The topic must contain basic descriptive and instructional content for a user to understand the purpose of, be able to install, and use your solution.
- Your solution must use Excel’s structured references to core data columns so that it can be installed in other users’ sheets and properly reference essential data.
- Your solution cannot use scripts
- Your solution does not integrate or use 3rd-party apps
- You, the builder, are based in the U.S. and over the age of 18
- Though you, the builder, will maintain ownership, copyright, and any other kinds of rights to the content, you grant Tiller an unlimited, non-exclusive license to use the resulting content, and/or portions of the content or derivatives of the content, in any way and for any purpose as Tiller solely determines
- Only the first submission per contributor will be considered for prizes. If you’d like to submit additional entries for prize consideration, DM @randy in the Tiller Community.
Share Your Questions and Feedback
If you have any questions or feedback about the 2022 Excel Builder’s Challenge, share them in this thread in the Tiller Community. We can’t wait to see what you build!