The Monthly Budget Calendar is a minimalist spending tracker and monthly budget for Microsoft Excel.
Everything is streamlined in a simple monthly calendar view. Set your monthly spending target, track your daily and cumulative spending, and see how much you have left before the end of the month – or before you hit your spending target.
→ See the Google Sheets version of the Monthly Budget Calendar here
The Monthly Budget Calendar for Excel is minimalistic by design with just a few customizable options:
- Choose the year.
- Choose the month.
- Input your Monthly Budget spending target.
- Choose how you want to gather your daily expenses.
- Watch the magic happen.
Regarding the fourth step, there are four different ways to gather expenses:
- “All Withdrawals” will total each day’s negative transactions. You will not need to categorize any data to use this template immediately, but transactions like transfers may make your daily totals inaccurate.
- “Withdrawals ≠ Transfers” will total each day’s negative transactions but will ignore any transactions categorized as a Transfer category type. If you haven’t categorized many transactions, but want to exclude a few transactions, just categorize those and let the rollup do its magic.
- “Categorized Expenses” totals only transactions categorized to an expense category while ignoring income, transfers, and uncategorized transactions (including positive refunds categorized in expense categories).
- “Categorized Group Expenses” allows you to select an expense-category group and will total transactions categorized to that group (including positive refunds categorized in expense categories).
Each calendar day shows:
- The date and day of the week
- Your spending actuals based on the filter selected above
- Cumulative spending for the month
- How much is left before you hit your selected spending target
- A sparkline visualizing your spending increasing to your target
If you exceed your monthly spending target, your sparkline turns red, and your amount turns negative.
Installing the Monthly Budget Calendar for Excel
- Confirm you have Excel Tables implemented in your workbook.
- Download the workbook containing the Monthly Budget Calendar to your local hard drive.
- Follow these instructions to copy the downloaded template into your Excel workbook and to connect the formula references to your local workbook data.
Questions and Feedback
Ask any questions and give feedback here in the Tiller Community